THE HEALTH CARE ECONOMICS OF RETAINED SURGICAL OBJECTS, AND THE ADVANTAGES OF RF Assure® DETECTION TECHNOLOGY
There are a number of key economic factors that make the use of
RF Assure Detection Technology delivers a cost-effective solution
Legal Cost Savings
- Average malpractice legal defense cost: $43,2584
- Average malpractice settlement cost: $327,7265
- CMS stopped paying for "never events" in 2008
- Average unreimbursed procedural cost for a RSI: $77,5126
- Some insurers are offering incentives to eliminate HACs
Procedure Cost Savings
- Average cost of OR time: $62 per minute7
- Average added OR time per miscount: 20 minutes7
- Average cost of an X-ray to address sponge miscounts: $286-$7058,9
- Surgical source infections occur in 43% of cases, with an average cost of
$25,543 per patient10
- Hospital reputation
Cost savings and cost avoidance outweigh implementation costs at a rate of greater than 3:1.8
- Winta T. Mehtsun, Andrew M. Ibrahim, Marie Diener-West, Peter J. Pronovost, Martin A. Makary. Surgical never events in the United States. Surgery, 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.surg.2012.10.005.
- Mehtsun W, MD, MPH, Ibrahim A, MD, Diener-West M, PhD, Pronovost P, MD, PhD, Makary M, MD, MPH, Baltimore, MD, Boston, MA, and Cleveland, OH, 2013 Johns Hopkins report.
- Egorova, PhD, Natalia N., Moskowitz A, MD, Gelijns A, PhD, Weinberg A, MS, Curty J, BS, Rabin-Fastman B, MS, Kaplan H, MD, Cooper M, MD, Fowler D, MD, Emond J, MD, Greco G, PhD. Managing the Prevention of Retained Surgical Instruments: What Is the Value of Counting? Annals of Surgery 247.1 (2008): 13-18.
- J Law, Medicine & Ethics, 2012.
- www.citizens.org, 2012, National Practitioner Data Bank, 2012, Tables 1-6
- CMS-1390-P, 2008, Average Unreimbursed RSI Procedural Cost Reported by CMS, updated to reflect 2013 dollars.
- Macario A, What does one minute of operating room time cost? J Clin Anesth, 2010, Jun;22(4):233-6.
- Williams TL, Tung DK, Steelman VM, Chang PK, Szekendi MK, Retained Surgical Sponges: Findings from Incident Reports and a Cost-Benefit Analysis of Radiofrequency Technology, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.03.052.
- Dossett et al, Surgery, 2008.
- Stone et al, Am J Infect Control, 2005.